Leavitt Law Firm Leavitt Law Firm

Can I Receive a Stimulus Check for My College Student?

For those who qualify, the economic stimulus checks are in the amount of $1,200 for each individual or $2,400 for married couples. For parents with children age 16 and younger, they will receive an additional $500 per qualifying child, per household.

So, if you’re married and you have two children under the age of 17, you’ll likely receive a stimulus check for $2,400 (because you’re married) and another $1,000 total for your children. You and your spouse do not each get $500 for your qualifying children; instead, it’s $500 per household as mentioned earlier.

“But what if my child is in college? I still support her and I claim her as a dependent, so shouldn’t I receive a $500 check for her?” Read on as we answer this question.

You Won’t Get a Check for Your College Student

Parents only receive checks for qualifying children. For a child to qualify, they must be age 16 or younger. So, many parents who have high school juniors and seniors won’t be getting checks for their high school students even though they support them. The same goes for college students due to their age. Even if your college student lives with you full-time as they attend UNLV or College of Southern Nevada and you claim them as a dependent, you still won’t receive a check for them.

“Can my college student receive their own stimulus check?” It depends. If you claim your college student on your taxes as a dependent, then he or she cannot receive their own stimulus check. However, if they are supporting themselves and you do NOT claim them as a dependent, then yes, they can get their own check providing they don’t owe back child support.

In most cases, Americans will receive their economic stimulus payments without issue, however, if someone owes child support or if their spouse does and they file their taxes jointly, then they may not receive their stimulus check. If your spouse owes child support and you file your taxes jointly as many married couples do, you’d have to claim “innocent spouse” on your taxes to receive your share – something you may want to take up with your tax professional.

Related Posts
  • What Happens to My Life Insurance Policy if I Get Divorced in Nevada? Read More
  • Grandparent Rights in Nevada: How to Protect Your Relationship Read More
  • Child Custody Tips: Who Pays for Back-to-School Supplies? Read More