The time to start planning your divorce in Nevada is now. Even if you aren't quite sure you are ready to pull the trigger, it makes sense to learn about filing for divorce at this time of year and what options are available. In some cases, timing can be really important (and potentially even beneficial) when making decisions related to a divorce. This blog post is specifically tailored for Nevadans who want to better understand when’s the best time to file for divorce in the state so that they can make informed decisions on their own timeline.
What’s the Best Time to File for Divorce in Nevada?
When it comes to filing for divorce in the state of Nevada, timing is everything. For that reason, there are several factors that you need to consider before you can determine the best time to file for divorce:
- Marital Status – First, you need to consider your marital status in Nevada. If you are still legally married, then you must wait at least six weeks after the date of service of process or a signed waiver before you can file for divorce.
- Residency Status – Second, there are residency requirements that must be met before either party can initiate a divorce proceeding in Nevada. You must have lived in the state for at least six weeks prior to filing for divorce. If you do not meet this requirement, you must wait until you do before you can proceed with your case.
- Life Changes – Third, in addition to residency requirements, it is important to consider what stage of life you are at when determining the best timing for a divorce. If you and your spouse have recently experienced major changes like a move or job change, take some time before making any decisions about filing for divorce. This period of transition might give both partners additional time and perspective on the situation and could even lead to a different resolution than proceeding with divorce.
- Kids – Fourth, if there are children involved in the marriage, then Nevada has specific laws governing child custody arrangements that must be followed before filing for divorce. Furthermore, if there are children involved in the scenario, timing is especially important as kids will be affected regardless of what happens next in their parents' marriages. If possible, try speaking with a family therapist or mediator prior to filing so that arrangements can be made regarding custody and child support payments that will ensure that kids are taken care of no matter the outcome.
- Grounds – Fifth, it is important to consider what type of grounds you wish to use when filing your complaint with the court. There are both fault-based grounds (such as adultery or abandonment) and no-fault grounds (like irreconcilable differences) available under Nevada law.
- Length of Process – Finally, when considering whether to file for divorce, it is important to think about how long the process will take and any potential complications that may arise due to disagreements over property division or other issues related to your marriage.
All these factors should be taken into consideration when making the decision about when to file for divorce in Nevada. However, there isn’t one perfect formula for when exactly someone should file for divorce in Nevada. Every situation is different and should be treated as such. However, keeping these factors in mind can help guide your decision and make sure that all parties involved are taken into consideration when making such an important decision.
Speak with Our Experienced Divorce Attorneys in Las Vegas Today
Divorce is an emotionally and financially difficult process, and it is important to understand the legal considerations involved when deciding when to file for divorce in Nevada.
For over three decades, Leavitt Law Firm has been guiding clients in Nevada through the divorce process. We understand how difficult divorce can be for individuals and their families. That’s why our top priorities are always our clients and what’s best for them.
To learn more about Leavitt Law Firm, and how we’ve helped clients reach the most favorable outcomes possible for their situations, read our clients’ testimonials.